Saturday, October 28, 2006
Closed shop - Bermondsey 1920
Advertisement in "The Hospital"
April 24th 1920
BORGUGH OF BERMONDSEY.
Applications are invited for the appointment of two Midwives.
-Salary, £220, rising by annual increments of £10 to £250 per annum.
The persons selected are to provide and wear, when on duty, a nurse’s uniform, to be approved by the Public Health Committee. Candidates are to hold the certificate of the Central Midwives Board, be registered Midwives, and will be required to belong toa Trade Union.
The most famous closed shop was at Willsden, Brent, London after WWII
The London Ambulance Service had a closed shop until the early 1980's
Notice from Deptford, London, 1933